Late-July Trip

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

catchandrelease

Late-July Trip

Post by catchandrelease » Wed May 04, 2011 7:00 pm

What tips does anyone have for first-timers coming for bass at the end of July?

GuidedBassTrips

Re: Late-July Trip

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Thu May 05, 2011 10:48 am

Late July bass fishing on Black Lake often depends on the status of the lake's annual algae bloom. And it varies depending on heat and rainfall. If the water is very green when you are here, try to find clearer water if you can. If you have to fish in the green water, fish slower. Bottom fishing techniques tend to be more consistent. Last summer was warm and there was a definite switch to tougher fishing about the time you are going to be here. But that doesn't mean it will be the same this year. The water could be clear with outstanding fishing on faster moving presentations like topwaters and spinnerbaits. The senko bite is famous here when the water is clear. Be sure to use circle hooks when wacky rigging a senko.

Either way it is a wonderful lake and you will catch fish and have a good time.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

catchandrelease

Post by catchandrelease » Sat May 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Any suggestions about where to start?

Where is the water going to be clearer if there is an algae bloom?

ken18621

Post by ken18621 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:45 am

Last July was my first time to BL and I was concerned about my brother having patience trying to figure how to fish the lake before he lost all intrest and making my stay less enjoyable.

I looked through the business directory on this website and booked a guided trip with Captain Randy for our third day at the lake (July 5th).

On July 3rd and July 4th we fished in some stiff winds and rough water and basically got skunked.

On the 3rd day we had a planned trip with Capt. Randy. He picked us up right at our dock early in the morning . I had explained the situation about my brothers impatience ahead of time and he was more then capable of accomodating him with a great time.

We used both live bait and artificials and were able to land a respectable number of both LM and SM through out the day.

He taught us how to fish the lake in a day (lures.colors,location,presentation) that we couldnt have figured out in the entire week.

After our day with the guide my brother and I averaged 25 bass per day for the rest of the week, and we were only fishing for 3 hours in the a.m. and 3 hours in the evening. And it was a tough week weather wise(mid 90's)

The bottom line is I would highly recommend Guidedbasstrips for a good source to teach you how to fish the lake. He thinks like a bass, he knows the lake, and has a passion for the lake and the lakes future.
And his rates are VERY reasonable.

Good Luck

catchandrelease

Post by catchandrelease » Tue May 10, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try!