using Down Imaging and Navonics GPS maps

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

bluschen

using Down Imaging and Navonics GPS maps

Post by bluschen » Tue May 03, 2011 10:47 pm

Anybody have any experience with using the new down-imaging SW and Navonics GPS maps on Black lake? I bought a new Hummingbird combo and Navonics premium Hotmaps and was wondering if it lives up to all the hype...even after checking out all info I could find I am still curious as I have not been on the water yet with the new Graph.

My buddy loves his and swears by the additional features

WalleyeHunter

Re: using Down Imaging and Navonics GPS maps

Post by WalleyeHunter » Wed May 04, 2011 1:23 pm

I've got a 898si with the premium chip. The detail is amazing on the SI/DI! I only used it on BL for about 4 days last year, so didn't get to search to much.

I don't use the DI all that much, only when I find something on the side imaging, and want a closer look. But still the DI blows away the standard 2d sonar when finding structure. The 2d is better though for finding fish.

Didn't find much under the water on BL, just helped with finding shoals, weedlines, and some submerged timber.

The chip on the other hand, is terrible on BL. Shows 2 depth contours, 10 and 20ft, and it's very generalized. :(

Before I went last year, I used the humminbirdPC software and made my own hot maps by entering my waypoints from the standard paper map.

If you're going to fish at night make sure that you're graph is set to record your path, and use that to get back to camp. Don't use the map for navigation it's not all that acurate. When you launch your boat head to the bridge and adjust your map offset, this will help some.

Great site for SI/DI
http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/index.ph ... 32f8c2d5c9

Another great site for SI/DI
http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/HumminbirdIndex.html

bluschen

Re: using Down Imaging and Navonics GPS maps

Post by bluschen » Wed May 04, 2011 8:12 pm

I bought the 788Ci with the down imaging SW. I figured the map SW may not be too great as I have heard that from others. Its really too bad and I don't see why navonics would not update their maps. BL is a big lake with hundreds of homes on it and it has one hell of a fishery...
I know the SW works extremely well on the finger lakes though. Either way I'm looking forward to being on the lake next Sunday for a week