Fish Finders/GPS/Hot spot maps

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ragincajun

Fish Finders/GPS/Hot spot maps

Post by ragincajun » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:35 pm

I have a Lowrance Elite 5. It has a spot for the hot spot map chip. When I bought the fish finder, I was happy to see that the GPS works perfect on black lake and names almost all the islands. I honestly thought that meant the hot spot map for the north east came preloaded on it. I know....stupid right. I was talking to someone the other day who says that the hot spot map chip shows all the depths and marks where certain fish are found...just like the paper hot spot map. Is this true? Did I miss out last season by thinking what I had was all I needed? Should I invest in the chip?

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Fish Finders/GPS/Hot spot maps

Post by Phil » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Ragin,
I have a Lowrance GPS unit that I use between my boat and (ATV in winter). I have the HotSpots Fishing chip and it does show depth contours on Black Lake and many of the other lakes in NY. However, it does not show depth marks for the St. Lawrence River. I was really disappointed in that. They do have a chip that includes the t. Lawrence (can't remember the name) I was looking at it in Gander Mtn. a few weeks back.
Phil

bluschen

Re: Fish Finders/GPS/Hot spot maps

Post by bluschen » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:21 pm

I just put a Hummingbird 788 CI HD w/down-imaging on my boat today and also bought the Hotmaps premium SD chip for it. I'm really looking forward to checking it out when I come up for a week on the 15th. Ive been saving for it for quite a while and finally bit the bullet. with my luck it will only show the fish that are NOT biting!