Walleye Run

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Fishpro

Walleye Run

Post by Fishpro » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:59 am

Looking forward to possibly see the Walleye run at Pope's Mills and Rossie. Only, not sure when the best time to go to watch it happen. How long after the iceout should one consider? Would appreciate any advice or info pertaining to the Walleye run. Thank You in Advance - Catch and Release

savichkycrew

Re: Walleye Run

Post by savichkycrew » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:17 pm

I usally try to make it the first or second weekend in Apirl. I have hit it good the last two years. Good Luck!!

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:32 pm

I agree with savichkycrew's dates. They will be close. It's all in the water temp. If you are nearby and watch this board, you will get a notice. :)
Phil

johncran

Post by johncran » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:52 pm

I'd like to go watch this year also. We'll be up to camp April 9th so maybe we'll luck out. Please keep us posted.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:51 pm

I think you may "luck out". The walleye started running last night. You should hit it right at peak, if the weather keeps up.

johncran wrote:I'd like to go watch this year also. We'll be up to camp April 9th so maybe we'll luck out. Please keep us posted.
Phil

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Drove to Rossie with a couple of friends tonight. The walleye were absolutely spectacular just after dark. There were so many that they were "rolling" up out of the water. What a sight. I've been going to Rossie to see the walleye run for more than 15 years and have never seen them in such great numbers. Many many large females and many many many more smaller fish. I doubt they will be there for many days; if the weather stays the way it is they will be all done before the end of the week.
Think I'll go get my boat out of storage tomorrow. :D
Phil

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:18 am

So - we have been in the news with the walleye run at Rossie. WWNY TV7
Seems the DEC has seen fit to "lessen" the detail of COs that cover the Rossie walleye run (decision was made from the "top" of DEC management). There is movement, via our state senators and representatives, to get this decision reversed. We can not afford, after all the time and money that has been invested in this project, to let a few no-goods ruin 22 years of successful effort.
YNN (Your News Now) from Time Warner will also do a story, on site at Rossie, this AM.
Phil

savichkycrew

Post by savichkycrew » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:28 pm

That's FREAKING awesome. NYS jacks up the price for our lic fees and we see no improvement on the other end. Something has gotta change!!!! Did they mention how much the were going to lessen up?