BowFin

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

sasnyder

BowFin

Post by sasnyder » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:33 am

A few people have posted catching bowfin. I know when we were up in the end of June we had caught a few, later being told we should have killed them because they are a garbage fish and are becoming in large numbers. Is that true? we will be going back in September and just wanted to know.

Niagara-eyes

Post by Niagara-eyes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:52 am

Please don't kill the Bowfin ! They are not a trash fish in my opinion. They are a species that can breathe air when conditions are poor and survive in water thats practically mud. They are a predator and I think great fighters when hooked. They can be fun to catch. In Black Lake I bet they eat alot of small perch, bluegills and other panfish and are an important part of the ecosysytem as they have survived on earth for millions of years.

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:10 pm

I have fished all my life. I personally would not kill any fish just because they are a preditor. I have been tought that everything come for a reason, maybe its a balance and maybe not.They are a really fun fish to catch they fight as good as the garpike. but with the gar you don't want to put them in the boat they can trash a boat in short order. after all you have to have something to catch when the bass are on strike :lol:

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:02 pm

My son caught one the other day and had a blast with the fight. Don't kill any fish. The only bad I see in them, is that they aren't a bass after you think you just caught a monster bass...lol

Central NY Girl

Post by Central NY Girl » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:34 pm

nice fish :D

cheftommy70

Post by cheftommy70 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:15 pm

very nice fish! i caught one 3 years ago and have hoped to run into one every year we go.nice pic too,that looks like orchard bay i think. Onto the fish...dont kill them...they arent a problem fish in the lake(imo carp are way worse of a problem but thats for another post).and they do fight hard if they dont snap the line when they hit!!!

ss minnow

Post by ss minnow » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:44 pm

The biggest one listed in the International Game Fish Association World Record book weighed 21 1/2 pounds. Could you imagine the story of hooking and possibly bringing something like that on your boat? Let 'em be.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:57 pm

I caught two in early July, 22 and 24 inches. The fight was great fun, would love to catch a largemouth that puts on the runs like the lowly Bowfin does. Does anybody have any idea on the growthrates on these fish, just curious as I've never caught a small one. By the way Ragin, tell your boy nice catch!

Othahyu:ní

Post by Othahyu:ní » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:13 am

I have caught many Bowfins (aka Dogfish) in my 25 years fishing Black Lake.
And they do put up one Hell of a fight especially when you hook them when your fishing in heavy cover.

Great Pic :D

Curt In Heuvy

Re: BowFin

Post by Curt In Heuvy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:11 am

i have landed a few while bullhead fishng and was wondering if anyone might have info on targeting them. they are very fun to catch and like catfish i throw them back mabey i will catch them again.

fishnorgolfn

Post by fishnorgolfn » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Great feedback everybody. I just attended a meeting with our regions DEC supervisor and he confirmed there is no reason to harm or kill the Bowfin. Enjoy the experience!

mitchr

Post by mitchr » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:59 pm

I've been going up for 5 years now and not caught one of these things yet but would love to. I personally wouldn't kill these or any fish normally except the Gobi over here in the Niagara River/Lake Erie because they are taking over and destroying the other fish populations and ecosystem.

fisherman2582

Post by fisherman2582 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Bowfin are a great sportfish and I dont beleive they should be killed either besides Black Lake is full of dink perch and trust me had bowfins hit perch their in june when realing in panfish. Have caught quite a few and have had one mounted good conversation peice anyways please practice catch and release .